Foods to avoid
There are many foods that humans eat that are unsafe for dogs & cats. Onions are one of them. Feeding onions – raw, cooked, or powdered – can make your pet seriously ill causing liver damage, asthmatic attacks and allergic reactions.
Most critical problem? A condition that causes red blood cells to burst.
Think a little bit can’t hurt? Studies show that consuming a large amount of onion at once is less dangerous that consuming a very small amount over a length of time. Your best bet? Avoid feeding your pets foods that have any onion in them AT ALL!
Most people know not to give alcoholic drinks to their pets but did you know that alcohol poisoning is more common than you think? Alcohol can lead to fainting, seizures, respiratory failure and coma!
In addition to beverages, alcohol can be found in surprising places. Mouthwash, perfume, rubbing alcohol, Rum-soaked fruitcake and unbaked dough containing yeast result in alcohol poisoning.
Keep them out of reach!
Humans LOVE chocolate! But did you know that chocolate in all forms in poisonous to cats and dogs?
Chocolate and cocoa contain caffeine and theobromine which are both toxic to dogs and cats.
Theobromine and caffeine cause an increased heart rate. A pet that consumes toxic amounts of chocolate will experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and restlessness.
Dark chocolate contains more of the stimulants than milk chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate and baking chocolate contains even higher amounts, which make them more dangerous. White chocolate contains only trace amounts of caffeine and theobromine, but is still bad for your cat or dog and should still be avoided.
Grapes & Raisins
While cats usually won’t show interest in eating grapes and raisins, dogs definitely will! But did you know that grapes and raisins are toxics to both cats and dogs?
Grapes and raisins can cause sudden kidney failure. Symptoms can present within 24 hours and include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite and tiredness. Even worse, kidney failure develops within 24-72 hours and once failure develops, pets die or have to be euthanized.
As little as 4 to 5 grapes have proven to be fatal – so be safe! Keep raisins and grapes far from your pets!
Harmless in small quantities, nutmeg in larger amounts can be poisonous to dogs and cats. Why? Nutmeg contains myristicin, a compound than can result in disorientation, hallucinations, increased heart rate and even seizures.
How much is too much? If you pet gets into your nutmeg shaker or eats an entire batch of seasonal cookies, you can have a problem. Again, small amounts won’t hurt but just avoid nutmeg altogether – it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Luckily, macadamia nuts are not a snack we usually think of giving to our pets. And it’s a good thing because these tasty nuts are poisonous to dogs!
Macadamia Nut ingestion can lead to profound muscle weakness – as in, your dog won’t be able to stand up – vomiting, tremors, abdominal pain and depression within symptoms lasting 12 to 24 hours.
So remember – macadamia nuts are definitely not for the dogs!
Did you know there’s a sweetener showing up in some peanut butters that is poisonous to your dog and cats?
Xylitol is a sugar substitute that has been used in sugar-free gums, candy and toothpaste for years. But now it’s in some peanut butters and pet owners need to beware!
Xylitol can cause a dramatic release of insulin, causing hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. It can also cause vomiting, liver failure, seizures, coma and even death. So, if you are giving your pet a peanut butter treat, be careful and read your labels!